Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spring forward

I've never heard of it called that before. All that comes to my mind is Tigger from Winnie the pooh, bouncing around on his tail. Good thing it doesn't really affect us that much, since lately we've been going to bed around 2am and waking up embarrassingly late.

Mike has had a lot of work lately, so today since he had to work, I decided to ignore my messy kitchen and other domestic duties and went to a few stores all by myself. I bought a small canvass to attempt a painting for my bathroom. I also had a hot dog and a coke, nothing like junk food to try to cheer myself up from the horrible mood I was in.

The more I think about starting my new job, the more nervous I get. Why did they have to give me so much time to think about it? I'm mostly worried about the driving part, it still doesn't "come natural" to me yet. I think a GPS would be an excellent idea. I also need a few work outfits.


We've been baking fruit squares every week now. Mike calls them his breakfast bars, since they are way healthier than all the other desserts we used to make. Although, we do plan on making some chocolate pudding from scratch soon, I'll let you know how that turns out. I have a loaf of bread in the oven as I type, I added rosemary and parmesan cheese to this one.

Well, I hope everyone has a great week, I know it's spring break for some, so have lots of fun! In the mean time, I will be working on an old bird painting that I never finished from a long time ago. I also have paintings for Sugar Village to work on. By the way, I'm having a sale on selected paintings in case you want to check them out. Good night!

Recipe for the fruit squares

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar ( You can use only half the sugar if you don't want them too sweet)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fine chopped pecans (or any nuts)
12 tablespoons softened butter in pieces
1 cup of your choice of fruit preserves (we usually use Bonne Maman)

Take butter out of the fridge to soften (about an hour before). Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter pieces to the flour mix and with a hand held mixer on low, mix until it resembles wet sand ( a few minutes). On a greased glass baking dish (we use the rectangle one for thinner squares, but you can also use the square one for thicker pieces), spread about 2/3 of the flour mix and press it into the dish. Bake for about 20 minutes. Take out the baking dish and spread the preserves on top, sprinkle with the remaining flour mix and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Do you have a recipe for those breakfast bars?

Splendid Little Stars said...

Thanks for posting! I will have to try them!

Anonymous said...

Mmm those look delicious thanks for sharing!

AnniKae said...

Spring Forward...I use that term so that I can remember which way to turn the clock.
So...
Spring Forward
or
Fall Behind

Happy Day!
Anni Kae

ArtistaScar said...

i didn't realize you were such the suzie homemaker!! these bars look delish....i'll have to try when i get all settled :)